of Bastrop, Texas
BASTROP, TEXAS, is the county seat of
Bastrop County, and is located about thirty miles southeast of downtown Austin.
The town is at the junction of State highways 71, 21, and 95, and
on the Colorado River. The site was first occupied in 1804, when a fort
was established at the strategic Colorado River crossing of the Old San Antonio
Road and named Puesta del Colorado.
of Main Street in Bastrop from the early 1950's
CEDAR CREEK, TEXAS (Bastrop County). Cedar Creek
is beside the creek for which it is named eleven miles west of Bastrop in west
central Bastrop County. The area was settled as early as 1832, when Addison
Litton was granted a league of blackland prairie on both sides of the creek.
McDADE, TEXAS, on U.S. Highway 290 eight miles southeast of
Elgin in northern Bastrop County, was established in 1869 in anticipation of the
arrival of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Two years later the first
train reached the site, and the town was officially platted and named after
James W. McDade, who lived in Brenham.
PAIGE, TEXAS. Paige is on U.S. Highway 290 forty-four
miles east of Austin in northeast Bastrop County. The Old San Antonio Road, now
State Highway 21, borders the north side. Paige was established at the site of a
railroad water tower on the newly built Houston and Texas Central Railway in
1872 and named for Norman Paige, a civil engineer, who had laid out the route of
the railway. CONTINUE
Red Rock, Texas
RED ROCK, TEXAS
(Bastrop County). Red Rock, twelve miles southwest of Bastrop
in southwestern Bastrop County, is said to have derived its name from a red rock
used in building the chimney of first settler James Brewer's house in the early
ROCKNE, TEXAS. Rockne, twelve miles southwest of Bastrop in southwestern Bastrop County, has its origins in the Meuth community, established by Andrew Meuth in 1846 between the sites of String Prairie and present Rockne.
ROSANKY, TEXAS,on Farm Road 535 eleven miles south of Bastrop in southern Bastrop County, is named
for Ed Rosanky, member of a pioneer Prussian family who settled in the area in
1854. The loosely organized community that grew up in the area was first known
as Snake Prairie. CONTINUE
Camp Swift, Texas
CAMP SWIFT. Camp Swift is bordered by U.S. highways 95 and 290
twenty-eight miles east of Austin and seven miles north of Bastrop in Bastrop
County. It was built in 1942 on 55,906 acres and initially had 2,750 buildings
designed to accommodate 44,000 troops.
The above information
is taken from The New Handbook
of Texas published by The Texas State Historical Association
Bastrop High School Class Reunions
The Community |
Site Search | Meet Neil
Gurwitz | Community Calendar
Photo Tours |
Mailing List | Links
Web hosting, design, and database development by
Eager Web Services, LLC
Copyright © 1999-2005 Bastrop Texas Network. All rights reserved.