The Bastrop County
The seven featured homes and buildings on display are shown below:
The Crocheron House is a Greek Revival style home originally built around 1857. The interior features a distinctive walnut staircase with hand carved newel posts and five fireplaces. The house is built primarily of cedar. Located at 1402 Wilson Street, it is part of the Lower Colorado River Authority Riverside Conference Center.
The H. P. Luckett Home is a 14 room Queen Ann style home that was popular in the Victorian era. With a variety of gingerbread and fretwork, it retains many of its original features. The house was built in 1892 and is located at 1402 Church Street.
The P. C. Maynard home reflects the influence of the Prairie architectural style developed around the turn of the century by Frank Lloyd Wright. The style is tempered with a classical Greek element known as "entasis." The uniqueness of the home is further emphasized through the use of extensive beveled glass, customized door hardware, and unusual lighting fixtures. The home was built in 1916 and is located at 1408 Pecan Street.
The Griesenbeck-Bryson House was built in the Neo-Classical-Revival style in 1910. Mr. Griesenbeck personally selected each piece of wood used in the house. All the framing timbers are oversized and the exterior walls contain three layers of wood (carvel construction). Dr. and Mrs. J. Gordon Bryson, Sr. purchased the home in 1923. The current owner purchased the home in 1984 and has restored some of the home. It is located at 1302 Hill Street.
The First United Methodist Church was built in 1925. The first building of this church was erected in 1851, one block northwest of the present site. The communion rail, pews and Venetian stained glass windows from the 1851 church were placed in the new sanctuary. The walnut pulpit and three large alter chairs that are in the Chapel were originally in the old church. The Church is located at 1201 Main Street.
The Wertzner House was built in 1890 by the Kleinert family. It had been sold twice before the home was bought by Hugo Wertzner in 1908. Arthur Wertzner was 3 years old when the family moved into the house. This continued to be his home until his death in 1980. The house went through a period as rental property until it was purchased in 1998 by the present owners who have repaired and renovated their home. It is located at 909 Pine Street.
The Bastrop County Historical Society Museum building was built around 1850 and was constructed of native timber and locally made brick. The property had a number of owners during the years. In 1952, the Bastrop Historical Society was organized and with the Ladies Reading Circle purchased the property that year. The restored building was converted into the museum. The Maynard Room was added in 1970. The Wilbarger Room was added in 1978. The Museum is located at 702 Main Street.
Tickets: $10.00, Children under 12 free
For Further Information:
I invite your comments and suggestions! E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web hosting, design, and database development by
Eager Web Services, LLC